Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Patience thy name is not

A couple of weeks ago, I mentioned that my Jaxie doctor found and an ultrasound confirmed a 2.5 cm nodule on the right lobe of my thyroid. I was referred out to the only local endocrinologist. My appointment wasn’t until July 13th (6 weeks out from the date of my referral).

Well, I’ve been counting the days until my appointment, almost jumping out of my skin from anxiety. I hadn’t really noticed any symptoms before the nodule was found, except possibly some fatigue and mental fuzziness. Before the nodule, I put that down to the sauna that is a Georgia summer, or allergies, or being in grad school. Now, I wonder. For about a week after the nodule, I felt really rotten; extremely tired, headachy, and nauseated. Finally, the headache broke last Thursday, and since then, I have been exhausted, with extreme afternoon drowsiness. I almost fell asleep driving the other day, even; I just felt like I couldn’t keep my eyes open!

So, yesterday, I was fed up. What’s the deal with waiting six stinkin’ weeks to get a nodule biopsied—if they’ll even do that the first appointment? Why do we only have one endocrinologist in town? Surely, that’s not right?! So, I called the endo to be put on the waiting list for a sooner appointment. I was very polite, but perhaps my desperation came through because they called me back a few hours later to offer me an appointment this week. The squeaky wheel has gotten the oil, perhaps? Well, no matter. I go tomorrow, bag of meds and insurance card in hand. Hopefully, the doc will go ahead and do a biopsy, then, I can do whatever needs to be done.

1 comment:

  1. I am sending you a link to the picture that should easy your worries and lift your spirit:
    the "special" roses
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2722/4071478409_990492b51c_b.jpg
    you will be impressed!!

    ReplyDelete