Saturday, May 1, 2010

I survived the committee meeting of 2010. . .

And all I got was this lousy inferiority complex.

I had my fifth year committee meeting on 9 April, and I’ve been recovering ever since. The committee ultimately said what I wanted to hear (that I could graduate next year), but only said that after saying many things I didn’t want to hear (things like, “Is this even interesting?”). To which my response would be (if these people didn’t hold my future in the hollow of their hands), “about as interesting as YOUR research, Bub.” Make of that what you will.

After that, my husband and I (and our son. . .er, dog, Bacchus) went on vacation with my cousin, her husband, and their daughter to Cape Hatteras. It was cold and rainy the entire time we were there. Though, of course, the sun broke out on the morning Mr. Ms. and I were packing to come home. Ah well, it’s what happens when you vacation off-season. The vacation was lovely, anyway. We ate a lot and drank a lot, we flew kites and shelled, we took long walks on the beach, and my cousin and I visited the lighthouse. I napped a lot and read a lot and knit a lot. My ideal vacation, in other words.

During my hiatus, I finished a pair of socks for my friend G’s birthday, which I failed to take pictures of, being kind of. . .well, picture defective. I have a very old digital camera, which it escapes me to use most of the time. I’m more verbal than visual. You’ll just have to take my word for it then that the socks were gorgeous. G is a fan of all things Japanese, so I used the Tabi Socks pattern from Veronik Avery’s Knitting Classic Style. I used Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Sock in Violet (since her favorite color is purple). It’s an elegant pattern, and the yarn suited it very well. Actually, I’ve never knitted with Shepherd Sock before, but I became a fan while knitting G’s socks. I ordered the March and April colors for myself from Jimmy Beans Wool. This could become an obsession. Or possibly already is.

Then I saw the Zombie BBQ colorway, and I had to order it for Mr. Ms. He’s been asking for a pair of socks for awhile now, and since we’re huge fans of the zombie genre in the Ms. household, it was a must. Since I know how to make tabi socks now, I decided to try my hand at ‘designing’ a tabi sock to fit his size 13 feet. After casting on and knitting half a cuff, I decided the colorway wasn’t as masculine as I first imagined. But what the hell? He has agreed to wear them around the house, and possibly under trousers, in a tall shoe, where no one but him will know. But his toes will be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment